Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon

library book
This book was very well written but I feel that I missed out on a lot not being Jewish or being familiar with Yiddish. I had to stop a lot and look up references and words through out the story.
I found it interesting that Chabon created this alternate history setting for his characters. One one hand this was a detective story with the good guys investigating a murder at a flea bag hotel. On the other hand it was an alternative history story of a people fighting for a homeland.
As serious as the story was I really enjoyed the play on words and funny phrases the author included.
Go here for a plot summary. I'm afraid I can't do it without giving too much away, so the choice is yours!
3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...but I feel that I missed out on a lot not being Jewish or being familiar with Yiddish."

I wondered about that! I had this book in my hands a couple of times, but always put it back.