Sunday, June 22, 2008

Holy Moly by Ben Rehder


See here for a review in the Dallas Morning News.
The books in this series always tickle me. Rehder has a wonderful sense of humor and satire. I was sad to read that this may be it for Game Warden John Marlin.
In this book Rehder tackles a tele-evangelist and the obscene amount of money involved with his "church." When a dinosaur skull is found on the preacher's newest property and the backhoe operator who finds it ends up dead the sheriff calls in John Marlin to help. I laughed out loud as I read through the twists and turns and characters of this story. There is a hired thug who huffs Pam and chants about it as he's driving, "pam, pam, pam, pam...." The tele-evangelist and his wayward wife make you wonder about all these big church organizations, or maybe just make you shake your head. Two of my favorite characters, rednecks and poachers both, are Red and Billy Don. I see Billy Don actually maturing, I think. If no more books in this series are coming out I'll really miss seeing how he turns out. Set in the Texas Hill Country, this book gives you a glimpse of small town Texas life and the multitude of characters that live there.
5

1 comment:

maggie moran said...

I love it, Sharon! He sounds like Florida writer Carl Hiaasen! I'll see if the library has any of these, thanx!

Oh, and I'm sad. You are done with the challenge. Please, keep checking back. I still have 5 more books to give away.