Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Kiss Before the Apocalypse by Thomas E. Sniegoski



About the book: Boston P.I. Remy Chandler has many talents. He can will himself invisible, he can speak and understand any foreign language (including the language of animals), and if he listens carefully, he can hear thoughts.
Unusual, to say the least - for an ordinary man. But Remy is no ordinary man - he's an angel. Generations ago, he chose to renounce heaven and live on Earth. He's found a place among us ordinary humans; friendship, a job he's good at - and love.
Now he is being drawn into a case with strong ties to his angelic past. The Angel of Death has gone missing - and Remy's former colleagues have come to him for help. But what at first seems to be about tracing a missing person turns out to involve much more - a conspiracy that has as its goal the destruction of the human race.
And only Remy Chandler, formerly known as the angel Remiel, can stop it.

First Line: It was an unusually warn mid-September day in Boston.




My thoughts: This was a new take on urban fantasy for me. No vampires, withces or werewolves. In this series we have Remy Chandler, angel.

This story is fast-paced and action packed. It drew me in and kept me reading. Remy is a likable, interesting character who has to work hard to be human, struggling against his true self. His relationship with his dying wife is bittersweet. He loves her dearly but is now forced to pass her off as his mother at a nursing home. My favorite part is Marlowe, Remy's Labrador, with whom he can communicate.

I really liked this one and will read more in the series. In fact it may just turn into one of my very favorite UF series.


My rating:

Quote: Marlow didn't move.

Remy leaned in to the car. "What's wrong?"

"I go," Marlowe said, refusing to make eye contact with him.

"You can't come with me, pal. It's too dangerous."

"No," the dog said stubbornly, draping his head over the back of the seat.

"Listen," he finally said in his firmest tone. "I don't have time to fool around right now. It's very important that I get to where I'm going so I can take care of business and come back to get you." Marlow lifted his head to look hin in the eyes.

"When?" the dog asked. "As soon as I'm done," he explained. "I have to go and help Casey and her friend..... and then I'll come back. Okay?" The dog thought for a moment. "Must come back," Marlowe said, and Remy could sense genuine sadness emanating from the animal's words. "Pack gone. Just Marlowe. All alone."

Links:
the series
the author

No comments: