Friday, June 10, 2011

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

About the book: Charlotte Bronte's impassioned novel is the love story of Jane Eyre, a plain yet spirited governess, and her arrogant, brooding Mr. Rochester. Published in 1847, under the pseudonym of Currer Bell, the book heralded a new kind of heroine--one whose virtuous integrity, keen intellect and tireless perseverance broke through class barriers to win equal stature with the man she loved. Hailed by William Makepeace Thackeray as "the masterwork of great genius," Jane Eyre is still regarded, over a century later, as one of the finest novels in English literature.
First line: There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.

My thoughts: I "had" to read Jane Eyre in school (many years ago) and so remembered nothing about it. I must say I really liked it! It was a great read and I never found it to be too wordy, preachy or stuffy. I especially enjoyed the sence of place and time. It has a little of everything one could want in a good read: romance, mystery, an intelligent & independent heroin, a dark, brooding love interest, and a huge, gloomy home. Jane was a wonderful, well developed character. Jane's statement "I know no medium" sums up her character. She is strong and moral. She will not let herself be anything less. I'm glad I reread this at this time in my life when I could truly appreciate it.

Rating:
E

Quote: "No sight so sad as that of a naughty child," he began, "especially a naughty little girl. Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?" "No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die."

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Have you seen the movie?


My Bookshelf

Sharon said...

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

Teddyree said...

I read it in school but like you remember nothing of it so I should re-read it. I'm sure I'd appreciate some of the classics at this point in my life.