Monday, February 25, 2008

The Shepherd of the Hills by Harold Bell Wright

library book
This is one of my favorite books ever and this is the third time I've read it. The first time I read it, my grandmother gave me her book. It was old then. I still have and love that book, it is very special to me. Some time after Grandmother gave me her book, we moved to the Ozarks. I consider it the most beautiful part of the country.

There are several sub plots in this the story, as there would be in a small community. There is the Shepherd who moves to the Ozark mountains from a city to escape tragedy and changes the community. There is Sammy Lane wishes to become a lady and there is the father that she loves dearly but who is in trouble surrounding the Bald Knobbers. Young Matt fights to steal Sammy's heart from Ollie Stewart, though he knows Ollie has promised Sammy a rich city life. There is also Young Matt's and Wash Gibb's struggles to the title of "Strongest Man in the Hills." Some are forced to relive the past and learn from it.

This is a sweet and ultimately uplifting book. I highly recommend it.
favorite, classic, Missouri, Sammy Lane

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. This book was recommended to me by my dad, but I was highly impressed with how much I enjoyed the book. It transports you to a simpler time, yet the adventure it takes you through is just as thrilling as any other modern day story. This is an amazing book and possibly even one of my favorites.