Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Angel's Tip by Alafair Burke


Book flap: Fresh-faced Indiana college student Chelsea Hart is so excited to spend the final hours of her spring break in the VIP room of an elite New York City club that she remains behind when her girlfriends call it a night. The next morning, as her concerned friends anxiously pace their hotel lobby, joggers find Chelsea's body in East River Park, her wavy blond hair brutally hacked off.
NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher catches the case and homes in on the group of privileged men who were last seen plying Chelsea with free-flowing alcohol. But before she can even gather the preliminary evidence, the gruesome murder is grabbing headlines and drawing unwanted media attention to the department. So when Ellie builds a tight case against Jake Myers, a young hedge fund manager, the department brass and the district attorney's office are elated: the case will soon be cleared, the media will tout the department's quick work, and Ellie will be a dream witness at the trial against Myers.
But Ellie has her doubts. Chelsea's murder is eerily similar to three other deaths that occurred nearly a decade ago: the victims were young, female, and in each case, the killer had taken her hair as a souvenir.
Ellie's investigation pulls her into a late-night world of exclusive clubs, conspicuous wealth, and hedonistic consumption. And her search for the truth not only pits her against her fellow cops but also places her under the watchful eye of a psychopath eager to add the prideful young female detective to his list.
My thoughts: I don't know how I missed her since this is her 5th book, but I did. When I found that the daughter of one of my all time favorite authors, James Lee Burke, was writing I checked out her newest book. I lkied it enough that I'll have to go back and read the others. Even the character, Ellie Hatcher, was in another book, this was a stand alone book. This was a good police thriller. Ellie a tough, good detective who truly cares about people. I like the way the author makes the victims human. Often victims are thinly written characters made just to be killed. Not so in this novel. They are fleshed out, humanized so much you wish they would make it. Her brother Jess and her new partner Rogan are also well written. Jess brings a little lightness and a little humor to this thriller.
Alafair Burke's blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that James Lee Burke had a daughter who is an author. How neat!

Teddyree said...

Liked your review, adding this one to my TBR pile :-)

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I like James Lee Burke too. I'll have to download one of Alafair's to my Kindle. Thank you.