Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Watchmen by Alam Moore & Dave Gibbons


Synopsis: It all begins with the paranoid delusions of a half-insane hero called Rorschach. But is Rorschach really insane or has he in fact uncovered a plot to murder super-heroes and, even worse, millions of innocent civilians? On the run from the law, Rorschach reunites with his former teammates in a desperate attempt to save the world and their lives, but what they uncover will shock them to their very core and change the face of the planet! Following two generations of masked superheroes from the close of World War II to the icy shadow of the Cold War comes this groundbreaking comic story -- the story of The Watchmen
My thoughts: I thought that since my husband and I will be seeing this movie, I should read the book, so I checked it out of the library. It wasn't what I expected. The superheros were not super, the characters were human and flawed as only humans can be, the bad guys were the good guys, it contains some nudity, disturbing sexual situations, and "graphic" violence. I was surprised to find that it had originally been published in the 80s. I hadn't heard of it until recently, I guess with the advent of the movie. I don't read many graphic novels but all in all I enjoyed this one. I think that the fact that it was not as I expected made it that much more enjoyable for me.
Watchmen won a Hugo Award in 1988.
Note: It is on the Time magazine list of All-Time 100 Novels.
Read about it on Wikipedia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am getting this book...gotta!

The Oceanside Animals said...

This is a good graphic novel, but not the best I've ever read (that would be The Killing Joke, also by Alan Moore). I actually thought the movie was better than the book, which probably puts me well in the minority.