Monday, January 11, 2010

Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck

About the book: "Sweet Thursday" reads as a post-war continuation of "Cannery Row". Set on the Californian coast, amongst the junk heaps and flop houses of Monterey, the book brings to life the denizens of a netherworld of laughter and tears - from fauna who runs the local brothel, to Hazel, a bum whose mother must have wanted a daughter.

Quotes: He rejected the theory of private ownership of removable property almost from birth.

"I'm going to call my paper 'Symptoms in Some Cephalpopds Approximating Apoplexy.' " "Great God Almighty!" said Mack.

Why this book you might ask: After reading Cannery row last year I found that Steinbeck had written a sequel to it. Sweet Thursday. I've wanted to read it ever since.

My thoughts: I truly enjoyed this book. I loved revisiting the folks from Cannery Row. It was light-hearted with plenty of humor and love. Love of friends, love of community, & romantic love - Cannery Row style. Steinbeck's turn of a phrase, such as the quote above talking about one of the character's bend to thievery, was fun to read and turn over in my mind. I will read this book again, I'm sure. If you haven't read Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday you should give these novellas a chance. I read it on my Kindle.

Links:
Preview here.
A critical study of Sweet Thursday.

Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 244 KB
Print Length: 288 pages
Publisher: Penguin Classics (June 24, 2008)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
Language: English
ASIN: B001BC2ZTA

Challenges:
100+ Reading challenge
eBook Reading Challenge
NaJuReMoNoMo
Monthly Mixer Mele
5x4 Reading challenge
Decades Challenge

Pages Read in 2010:
This book - 288 pgs
Total - 1010

No comments: