Sunday, March 7, 2010

Secrets by Jude Deveraux


About the book: When Cassandra Madden was 12 years old she fell in love with Jefferson Ames, a young man she met at one of her mother's conferences. She was a lonley child with a cold mother, and holding onto her love for Jeff helped her cope With her isolated life. When she grew up she went to college and even met a man she thought she'd marry, but Jeff was still in her head. She broke off her near engagement and went to Williamsburg, Virginia where she secretly got herself a job as a nanny to the widowed Jeff's young child.
Even though she was living in Jeff's house, seeing him every day, she still couldn't seem to get his attention. But then one day she hears shots coming from the mansion of Althea Fairmont, a woman the world called "the world's gretest living actress." Cassie ran to investigate and in an instant, her safe little life was turned upside down. Eveyone had secrets, and until she unraveled those secrets, there was no chance for happiness between her and Jeff.

Quote: Cassie laughed. "Okay, so now what do we do? Do I go groveling to my mother and beg?" "Not by a long shot," Althea said. "When I get through with you, your bully of a mother will grovel to you."

Why this book? We have a table at work where ew trade books. Someone put this book on the table and I snatched it up becuase it was by Jude Deveraux.

My thoughts: This was an ok book, a quick read. I read lots of Jude Deveraux books years ago and remember them fondly. This one is, I hate to say it, is forgetable. There were twists and I love stories with good twists. The small twists all seemed about one character manipulating the others. The murder wasn't an important part of the story. The end wound up in a contrived tangle. I would have read it again to make sure I had it but I just didn't care. I went into this expecting to love it because of my past experiences with this author's work, but I didn't. I didn't hate it either, it was....ok.

Links:
Preview the book


Challenges:
100+ Reading Challenge

Pages Read in 2010:
This book - 310
Total - 5150

2 comments:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Have you read Summer House by Deveroux? That is one of my favorite all time books.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Thank you. I like the reviews about what you didn't much enjoy as much as the ones about the books you did. Gosh, that was an awkward sentence; I hope you understand what I meant.