Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Promises in Death by J. D. Robb


About the book: Every cop gets angry when a police officer is killed. And Lieutenant Eve Dallas is no exception. But Amarylis Coltraine was also in a relationship with one of Eve's closest colleagues, so after Eve has delivered the terrible news to him, she throws every resource she has into finding the killer. When she finds a link to the son of a criminal she and her husband Roarke had put behind bars, the case heats up even further. Alex Ricker was romantically involved with Amarylis ? did she leak information to him and then have a change of heart? Eve puts herself in danger to get to the truth ? but she can't prevent another death before she learns who betrayed both the criminal's son and the police officer he loved...

First line: She was dead the minute she answered the 'link.

My Thoughts: This is the 28th book in the In Death Series. I've read several of them, nowhere in order. I have found each one to be a quick, fun read. I like the characters, they are very human.The character development is well done: I got an even deeper insight into their thoughts and lives than in the others I've read. The murder mystery pulled me along page after page and there was plenty great dialogue, some of it funny. As always I enjoyed the slightly futuristic setting. I'll read more of these for sure.

Rating:




Quote: She saw curiosity. No alarm, no worry. She knew her face showed him nothing. Not yet. Another second or two, she thought. Just another few seconds before she broke his heart.

Links:
In Death series
J.D. Robb

1 comment:

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I've read these in order--missed the first one or two--and thoroughly enjoyed them. I have liked the developing relationship of Eve and Roarke. The newest one is saved on my Kindle for when I need a dependable read.