Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Hunger Games by

About the book: Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

First line: When I wake up the other side of the bed is cold.

My Thoughts: I saw many reviews for this book a while back but didn't consider reading it. Since then I have learned that a movie is being made from this book so I dedided to go ahead. I found it quite compelling and hard to put down. It surprised me that a book for children would be so violent. The violence wasn't very graphic, until a death scene near the end which was nightmarish. The main characters were well written and likable. I enjoy the glimpses of humor in Katniss' dialogue. After reading this I have to know what happens to them so I have the next two books ordered.

Reading level: Ages 12 and up

Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press; 1st edition (September 14, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0439023483


No comments: