Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Union Pacific by Paul Colt

About the book: President Ulysses S. Grant dispatches Justice Department Special Services Officer, U.S. Marshal J.R. Chance to investigate suspected railroad construction fraud. Chance confronts a conspiracy that will stop at nothing in its quest to monopolize Union Pacific construction contracts and the lucrative right of way land grants. Chance, and the Cheyenne woman who saves his life, follow a trail that ultimately leads to the financial center of the plot in New York.

My thoughts: I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. This was because of the wishy-washy romance. The man was clueless and it became irritating after awhile. Otherwise it was an interesting historical novel. The mystery, finding who is the author of the fraud, is quite engaging. There was plenty of action and gun play.This ended in such a way that you know that another book is in the works. I'll keep this on the back burner and I might get the next one but it isn't a high reading priority.

No comments: