Tuesday, October 26, 2010

To Fetch a Thief by Spencer Quinn

From the book jacket: In the third book in the brilliant New York Times best selling series featuring a lovable and wise dog narrator, Chet and Bernie go under the big top to solve the most unlikely missing persons (and animals!) case ever.

First sentence: "I smell trouble," Bernie said.

My thoughts: I fell in love with Chet in the first book of this series and love him more with each book. As you will see in the quotes below, Chet is easily distracted. His thoughts will wander, to past cases, to food, to girl dogs.... The writing of Chet's internal dialog is fun to read, at times laugh out loud funny. Even though it is funny and narrated by the dog, the mystery will grab you and pull you along. I will be waiting anxiously for the fourth installment of this wonderful series. I would suggest that you start with the first one, but they all stand alone nicely.
My rating:



Quote:
"Bernie and Rick hurried up behind me, huffing and puffing; always fun when you can get humans huffing and puffing. Suppose you have something in your mouth, a magazine, say, and when some human makes a grab for it, you twist away, letting them come closer and closer every time: humans start huffing and puffing pretty quick in a game like that. But this was no time for games. We were on the job, and besides there were no magazines in sight."

"Got into some scrapes down in Mexico, and so did Bernie. The Mexican vet had to stitch me up; she stitched up Bernie, too. She was nice, kind of fell for Bernie, which led to complications on account of she forgot to mention her husband. But he turned out to be a real bad shot, so it ended up okay."
Links

Product Detail:
Hard Cover: 320 pages
Publisher: Atria
ISBN: 978-1-4391-5707-7

2 comments:

Teddyree said...

I think I read your review of one of the earlier books and was intrigued. Nice to know that the series continues to entertain :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I read the first one in the series and thought it was good. Glad u liked this one.