Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Devil's Right Han by Lilith Staintcrow

What is the deal here?? When I posted this all the content pulled together into one huge paragraph and I can't get it to stay where I put it!About the book: Meet Dante Valentine. Necromance. Bounty Hunter. She is short on sleep and not a happy camper. She’s just signed away seven years of her life – and her partner’s – to hunt down four rogue demons that have escaped from hell. Maybe she’ll find them. Maybe they’ll find her. Nobody said it was easy being the Devil’s right hand. Mass Market Paperback: 432 pages Publisher: Orbit (September 1, 2007) Language: English ISBN-10: 0316021423 First line:"It's for you," Japhrimel said diffidently, his eyes flaring with green fire in angular runic patterns for just a moment before returning to almost-human darkness. My thoughts: This is the 3rd book in the Dante Valentine series. I remembered the main story line but not too many details. This one reviewed a little without overdoing it, but it is not a stand alone novel. The story was not completed here either. I don't suggest this one unless you've read the others. It was a pretty dark, fast paced story, except for when Dante was was whining and having paranoid internal conversations. I'm not sure I'll read the next one because of this. I just didn't care about Dante like I would have liked to. Her continual whining at her demon Japh, left me feeling "meh": "'Just give me a minute, okay, and tell me why. That's all I'm asking. That's reasonable, Japhrimel. It really is. Just f.....g tell me. I need to know'" and so on and so on. Japh did refuse to talk to her, to tell her anything. I ended up skimming some. The world building was great, the characters were well developed. The history of Hediera and their Fallen, the history of the world and it's governments, the Nichtreven who are similar to vampires, the Hellsvront agents who can't quite be placed, imps, hellhounds, demons, The Deathless... were all interesting. I really liked this story, I just had a hard time with the heroine this time around. Rating: Quote:"Really, I scolded myself, you should have known that you'd end up in a stone dungeon with no facilities. That's how these things always end up, isn't it?"

No comments: