Saturday, May 14, 2011

Countdown by Iris Johansen

About the book: At age twenty-two, Jane MacGuire has already packed more drama into her life than most people would ever dream of. Saved from a life on the streets by forensic sculptor Eve Duncan and her husband, Joe Quinn, she was almost snatched from her new loving family by a deranged serial killer. Now she's studying art and pursuing a fascination with archaeology, the first steps to what Eve knows will be a bright future--until one day Jane's childhood friend Mike is shot in a kidnapping attempt gone wrong, and suddenly the past and present collide in an explosion of violence that will thrust Jane into her worst imaginings.


First line: Find the key.

My thoughts: First off I'm a fan of this author's Eve Duncan books and I thought that this was another in that series. I quickly realized, once I started reading it, that it was centered on Jane, Eve & Joe's adopted daughter. I've liked reading about Jane in the past so this was ok. Although this isn't one of my favorites from this author, it kept me reading. I hate to say it, but Jane was one of those characters that annoys me. She knows it all, ignores advice, accepts no help, and runs blindly into danger. Even so, I enjoyed suspending belief as Jane and her friends chased bad guys and searched for an ancient treasure. There was a twist at the end and I'm interested to see where it will lead Jane.

Rating: B

Quote: He saved my life. He saved Joe. He saved you. It's hard to dislike a man who has stacked up that kind of credit. That doesn't mean I approve of him.

No comments: