Saturday, May 21, 2011

Holmes on the Range by Steve Hockensmith

Synopsis: 1893 is a tough year in Montana, and any job is a good job. When Big Red and Old Red Amlingmeyer sign on as ranch hands at the secretive Bar-VR cattle spread, they're not expecting much more than hard work, bad pay, and a comfortable campfire around which they can enjoy their favorite pastime: scouring Harper's Weekly for stories about the famous Sherlock Holmes. When another ranch hand turns up in an outhouse with a bullet in his brain, Old Red sees the perfect opportunity to put his Holmes-inspired detective talents to work and solve the case. Big Red, like it or not (and mostly he does not), is along for the wild ride in this clever, compelling, and completely one-of-a-kind mystery.


First line: You can follow a trail with even knowing you're on it.

My Thoughts: What a fun read! I ran across this book and it sounded good so I got it. I wasn't sorry. It contained a good, engaging mystery, a little gore and lots of fun for the reader. There was a smile on every page. I enjoyed getting to know the brothers Big Red and Old Red, they were well developed, likeable characters that are easy to care about. The story is told by Big Red and so is told entirely in cowboy jargon. This was a great break from some more serious, depressing reading I've been doing lately. I already have the second one ready to go!

Rating: B+

Quote: Some folks got religion. Gustav got Sherlock Holmes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This one sounds like such a blast. I can't wait to read it.