Thursday, October 29, 2009

Brewster's Millions by George Barr McCutcheon



About the book: Would you be able to spend a million dollars in cash and leave yourself penniless, if it meant you would then be given many more millions? That's poor Monty Brewster's dilemma in this charming tale which has been made into a movie six times.

Quote from the book: "Monty was on deck when the inspiration seized him, and he lost no time in telling his guests, who were at breakfast. Although he had misgivings about their opinion of the scheme, he was not prepared for the ominous silence that followed his announcement."

My thoughts: My book, which was printed in 1902, has been on my bookshelf for several years. Now I'm sorry that it has taken me this long to get to it! I found this to be a light, entertaining read. It may be dated, but after all it was written over 100 years ago.

Monty Brewster inherited a million dollars from his grandfather. Then he learns that an uncle has left him $7 million but only if he spends, with conditions, all the money left by his grandfather. Watching him try to divest himself of his 1 million dollars, to the great disapproval of his friends, is interesting indeed. I liked the ending. Monty learns who his true friends are and finds his true love, and gets the money. What could be better?

With the reading of this book I have officially finished all my reading challenges for this year, with two months to spare! All my challenges for the year are listed HERE.


Hardcover: 307 pages
Publisher: Grosset and Dunlap; 1ST Edition edition (1902)
Language: English
ASIN: B000IZY2M4

CymLowell

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen this movie numerous times, but never read the book. It's something I've been trying to do; read the books to some of the movie's I've enjoyed. Usually it's the other way around for me, book THEN movie. In cases like this, I think I was pretty little when the movie came out...so it didn't happen.

Congrats on completing those challenges! I'm hoping to join more next year. Thanks for your help with the authors of the Suspense and Thrillers challenge!

Alyce said...

I have never been a big fan of the movie, but had no idea that it was based on a book. I wonder if I would like the book better?

Sharon said...

Alyce, I certainly liked the book better. It was so old fashioned. It was clean. I was rooting for Monty the whole way. If you like to read older fiction, you might just like this.

Stacy said...

I remember watching the Richard Pryor movie when I was young. I didn't know it was based on a book. I would like to read this to see what the original story was like. Thanks for leading me to it:)

Jen said...

I cant even wrap my mind around having a million bucks! BUt heck yea I do believe I could spend it! lol

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I hadn't even known there was a novel! I'd love to read it, but I seem to tell from your post that it hasn't been reissued in a long time. (?)

Thanks for this review. I often wish there were more reviews about old books, for they turn out to be the most interesting of any given bunch.

Unknown said...

I've seen the movie, thanks for bring the book to my attention! Well done!

-CYM